Christmas Recipe Feature – Roast Turkey
The festive season is upon us again and we thought we’d share a rather delicious looking Roast Turkey Recipe with our readers, looks good don’t you think?
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 3 hrs 45 mins
- 1 whole turkey
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 carrot, halved lengthways
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Rinse cavity of turkey with cold water and pat dry with paper towel.
- Fill front and back cavities of turkey with prepared stuffing. Secure legs with kitchen string. And neck flap tightly with a poultry pin or small skewer. Rub skin with oil.
- Dice carrot and celery and scatter over base of a large roasting pan. Sit turkey on top of vegetables. This will make the pan juices more flavoursome for the gravy.
- Bake turkey for 3½ to 3¾ hours. To test if turkey is cooked, insert a skewer into the thickest part of the leg. If juices run clear the turkey is cooked. If juices are pink cook a little longer.
- Transfer turkey to a chopping board, cover and stand for 15 minutes, before carving.
- Drain off pan juices (leave 2 tbs in pan) with vegetables to a food processor and cool. Process until smooth. Place roasting pan with reserved juices over a medium heat. Sprinkle flour over and whisk until smooth.
- Cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Slowly add pureed mixture and stock, stirring constantly.
- Return to heat and whisk until mixture comes to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes or until gravy thickens.
- Strain through a sieve into a gravy boat. Slice turkey and serve with stuffing, roast vegetables and cranberry sauce.
You can also download this recipe here, enjoy!
For more recipe ideas browse our online recipe library.